Sounds like the rainy weather limited our participation last week. Sorry I missed the soggy run.
If you are utilizing the marathon schedules below, I need to take a moment to stress the importance of our scheduled Friday runs. These are crucial for your success in this program. The Monday/Wednesday workouts could be moved around slightly to accommodate scheduling issues, but the Friday workouts needs to occur just before the long runs each week. It isn’t as crucial early on in the schedule, but as the mileage creeps up, it becomes increasingly important. The Friday runs are designed to create a “pre-fatigued” state within our legs. That “pre-fatigued” state will allow us to drop our mileage slightly on Saturday’s. Studies have shown that the incidence of injury on those 20-26 mile runs is so high that it really isn’t worth the risk. To reduce the risk of injury coaches are switching to an additional long run the day before to simulate
Click HERE to view this weeks training route.
Here are some things to remember about this Fall training season:
- We have officially moved our Saturday start time up to 6:30am to combat the heat and humidity.
- Inclement Weather Policy: We only plan to cancel the group activities for two specific things, lightning and excessive ice and snow. The policy is very simple, we will post an entry in the online blog one hour before the scheduled departure with our intentions to cancel. Simply log onto the blog before leaving the house.
- As most of you already know, we have chosen the Savannah Rock-N-Roll (November 7th) half and full marathon as our group outing this year. They offer a half, full and even a half marathon 2 person relay. We would love to have a large group travel with us for this great event. Please send us an email if you are planning to make the trip to Savannah.
- We have secured a bunch of rooms for the Savannah trip at the Fairfield Inn – Savannah Midtown (2 Lee Blvd) Located 8 miles from the start and 10 miles from the finish. Room rate is $129 per night + tax for 2 queen beds. Each room is currently being held for 3 nights (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) but can be adjusted if needed. If you would like one of these rooms, please call Sandy Beckhart (502-291-1131) directly to reserve a room. You will need to provide Sandy with a credit card (she will officially transfer a room into your name) and an email address to receive confirmation. The rooms are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis and supply is limited, so call her ASAP.
- We are also contemplating trying to secure a bus or two to bring us to and from the race. If you are interested in pitching in for this type of transportation, please let Sandy know. If we have enough interested parties this could become a reality. I envision a bus (pre-loaded with some post race adult beverages) that would drop us off in the morning and then possibly make multiple trips post race back to the hotel. (maybe one for the mini group and one for the marathoners) This trip has the makings to become one for the history books!
- Those that choose to participate in a half marathon this fall are welcome to use the schedules listed below. Keep in mind that the schedules do not have any dates, so they can be used for any race by simply starting at the race date and working forward from the end of the schedule.
- One last thing, the marathon schedules have been slightly revamped this season to bring them up to par with the latest and greatest research. At first glance they may seem a little confusing, but please take some time to read the description page (page 2) to get all of the details. These schedules can be adapted for walkers, runners, run/walkers, etc. You will have to know some of your previous pacing from other events to utilize this schedule. Marathoners will need to have a predicted half marathon pace and Half marathoners will need a previous 10k pace. With a little effort, everyone can utilize this new schedule. If however, you are not interested in putting in the extra effort, I can help. For a nominal fee, ($20) I can completely customize this exact schedule for you. I can print out a schedule that will have your pace detailed on every single workout. This takes the guesswork out of everything. Email me directly to make this happen.
- Beginner Marathon Schedule
- Intermediate Marathon Schedule
- Advanced Marathon Schedule
- Beginner Half Marathon Schedule
- Intermediate Half Marathon Schedule
- Advanced Half Marathon Schedule